At WildeWood Aesthetic Dentistry, Dr. Griffin solely focuses on giving you exceptional dental care. His friendly demeanor will make your dental experience unforgettable and comforting. While there’s the stigma that all dental trips are dreadful and painful, your dentist in Columbia, SC, wants to inform you it’s not true. In fact, dentistry can be fun.
There are many crazy, random facts about general dentistry, but these 10 wild factoids will make your jaw drop.
1. 73% of American would rather go grocery shopping than floss, which is quite unfortunate because flossing cleans around 35% of your teeth’s surfaces.
2. An elephant’s molars measure one foot across and weigh between 8-10 pounds each. Can you imagine how much toothpaste that elephant would need?
3. Toothpaste was invented only about 100 years ago. Instead, people used ground-up chalk or charcoal, lemon juice, ashes, and honey to clean their teeth.
4. Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the human body. This does not mean you can open bottle caps with your teeth.
5. Your toothbrush should be at least six feet away from the toilet. When you flush, airborne particles float in the air and can land on your toothbrush.
6. People who drink three glasses of soda a day have 62% more tooth decay. Imagine consuming energy drinks every day, which has 11% more sugar than soda.
7. The average human produces 25,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime, which is equivalent to two swimming pools.
8. During the Middle Ages in Germany, kissing a donkey was highly advised to relieve people’s toothaches.
9. Before the discovery of cavities and plaque, the “toothworm” was to blame for toothaches. Ancient theories believed the toothworm chewed the tooth interior until the tooth rot.
10. Only 40% of children between the ages of 6-19 never had a cavity. A decade ago, the percentage was 50%.
Do you know any fun dental facts? Comment below, and share your stories!