Halitosis (bad breath) is among the top three reasons patients choose to seek Columbia, SC dental treatment, along with tooth decay and periodontal disease. Having persistent bad breath can be extremely embarrassing, and may have to do with the amount of bacteria in the mouth. Often, patients choosing to see a dentist because of bad breath want nothing more than to get rid of the problem.
Frequently, what you eat may play a major role in whether or not you have halitosis. Obviously, odorous foods, such as onion or garlic, are known to cause bad breath. Firm fruits and veggies can aid bad breath by helping remove food particles from between the teeth. Believe it or not, your diet can help ward off halitosis:
- Drink more water–flush out bad breath-causing ketones.
- Increase the carbs– this also aids in the reduction of ketones.
- Eat more high fiber foods– apples, carrots and other fruits and veggies increase saliva and help remove plaque.
- Increase the C & D– foods high in these vitamins aid in the neutralization of odor-causing bacteria and hydrogen sulfide.
- Mask it– fresh parsley, basil, rosemary or lemon can all help mask bad breath after eating something pungent.
If you suffer from persistent bad breath, it is important to get to the root cause by seeking the assistance of your dentist. For oral hygiene exams or other dental services, including aesthetic and sedation dentistry, Dr. Griffin and his team are here to help. If you are currently searching for Columbia, SC dental care, we encourage you to contact Wilde Wood Aesthetic Dentistry for your appointment!